Our focus this year was to continue to build on connecting Social Emotional Learning and Literacy which we began in the 2020-21 School. year.
Social Emotional Learning continues to be our focus at Kidd as we develop a cohesive school-wide approach to supporting students. Social Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process of acquiring the competencies to recognize and manage emotions, develop caring and concern for others, establish relationships, make responsible decisions, and handle challenging situations effectively. SEL competencies comprise the foundational skills for positive health practices, engaged citizenship, and school success (CASEL, 2013). Recent research has determined that effective SEL in schools significantly improves students’ social-emotional skills, attitudes about self and others, and social interactions.
Since September 2022, we have been working toward these themes we surfaced:
- Creating and celebrating connection & belonging @ Kidd
- Increasing our feeling vocabulary
- Reducing student anxiety and worries
- Developing healthy relationship skills with their peers
Our focus during the 2020-21 school year enabled us to connect Social Emotional Learning and Literacy. Social and Emotional learning is an integral part of education and human development through which students and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, and manage emotions.
Over the past year, our staff re-scanned our learners to find a new direction for our school story because we wanted to find a new path to support and connect our students emotional development . We also had 5 divisions participating in the Student Reporting Policy Pilot (SRPP) and the use of digital portfolios for assessment and reporting as well as two intermediate divisions focused on the Challenged-Based Learning (CBL) program.
During our scan this year, we asked our students some of the following questions:
- Why do we share our emotions and feelings?
- How do you express your emotions and feeling?
- What speaking and listening strategies have you used to share your emotions?
- What writing or reading strategies have you used to share your emotions?
- How can learning about your emotions help you?
- What are your next steps to help you communicate your emotions?